Monday, July 4, 2011

Multitudes on Mondays


I grew up in a 3-bedroom ranch style home that my Mom still lives in. The kitchen is not that big, but big enough for a table that would seat all 8 of us for family meals each day. Big enough to cook together in, clean up together in, share meals together in. Big enough to do homework in - even through University! It was the true heart of our home and still is when we go for a visit. It is the place we all seem to gather in. Even as teens, we would more often sit around our large kitchen table to chat with our friends than hang out in the rec room.

On the main wall of the kitchen we have always had a clock. The clock has been changed only a couple of times in the many years that we lived there, and the current clock has been there for as long as I can remember.


The clock seemed to have a special role in our family. It was kept busy keeping track of the the hours, the minutes, the seconds of precious time. Time spent with family. Time that told us when we needed to be somewhere. Time for loved ones to return from work or school. Time for meals. Time for bed.


The clock also seemed to keep track of the rhythm of our family. It chimes every 15 minutes and bongs on the hour. It was a background noise that most times we weren't even conscious of, but it kept us on track throughout the day. The coming and going. The schedules. The beginning and end of each day.

When I return home now for a visit, I am more aware of the clock than I was when I lived there. I am aware of how often I look at it throughout the day and I am aware of the pretty chiming sound it makes. I am aware of how it is an inanimate object that has interacted with our family throughout the years. A familiar piece of home that I.am.grateful.for! Silly? Perhaps. But home would not be home without it.

"For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven."
Ecclesiastes 3:1


#191. the kitchen wall clock in my Mother's home

#192. childhood memories

#193. family

#194. God's promises as recorded in the Bible

#195. the generosity of family and friends

#196. flower pots on my patio overflowing with growth

#197. the anticipation of a great holiday with Mr. B

#198. summertime

#199. reading a book that I don't want to put down!

#200. fun times and smiles on my son's faces

4 comments:

  1. I don't think its silly. It's kinda cool actually, you are taking time (no pun intended) to think about it and appreciate it.
    I was just thinking about a little portable black & white tv that my grandfather watched, my dad watched and I am not watching while in my craft room in a similar fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My grandma had a clock that would chime every 15 minutes too. Great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heard about your cool little Trip hope you had fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very touching and made me think about the things in my own mothers home!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...