Thursday, January 6, 2011

Do You?

This might be a personal question... but do you wear one? Now be honest. I have to admit, that I normally don't, but I totally love them!

I am talking about aprons. My earliest memories of aprons would have been my Grandmothers wearing them. I vaguely remember my own Mother wearing one a couple of times, but not too often. Other than that, I have rarely seen someone in a home setting actually wearing one.

Shortly before Christmas, I was looking through my linen closet and I came across two sweet little aprons. I have to honestly say that I don't even remember owning aprons and I sat for a few minutes looking at them, trying to remember where I might have gotten them from.

All I could think of, is that they once belonged to my MIL. I inherited some beautiful linens from her and they must have been part of the package. I could see that these aprons were well used; from the fading of the cloth, to the small stains, to the loose threads. I could also imagine the times they might have been worn - holiday baking, preparing Sunday dinners, while getting things in order before company arrived.

Shortly after I found the aprons, I received an email about the History of Aprons. How coincidental!

"The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath because she only had a few. It was also because it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and aprons used less material.

But along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids. It was also wonderful for drying the tears of children and even to wrap around them to keep them warm.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove. Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls. In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men folk knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner."

I am happy to have my two little aprons and I think I will keep my eyes open for more when I am out at antique shops or thrift stores. It is a nice touch of days gone by and after reading the email I received, I realize that each one would have it's own story to tell.

So... do you?

10 comments:

  1. Joanne, I love this little history piece. My sisters-in-law always wear their aprons when they're baking. A habit they "inherited" from baking with their mom and grandmother. I'm going to send them this. They'll love it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, when I see aprons i think of you ans the amazing ones you have decorated for others! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started wearing aprons about 2 or 3 years ago. I like that they keep my clothing clean when baking or making something messy. And they are cute too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, I bet this surprises you....not!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I do have one. It was handmade by my Grandma and given to me as a shower gift when I was married 22 years ago. I vividly remember her wearing them when I was young and even remember my mom and aunts putting one on when it came time to clean up a big family dinner. It was always to protect their clothes. I have worn mine but not for many years now. You always look great in your TSF aprons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmm good question. I never used to wear an apron even though I inherited a couple of 70's versions from my Grandmother! A couple of years ago, I finally realised how many shirts I was spoiling whilst cooking and happened upon a 'proper' white chefs apron in a surplus store......it's not particularly pretty, but it looks proffessional and at least makes me feel like I know what I'm doing in the kitchen.......even when I don't!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't wear an apron but I really should! I am a very messy cook! I was the lucky one who was able to take my Grandmother's apron home after she passed away and I love to take it out and just look at it. The memories it brings back are awesome! Plus my very first attempt at sewing, home economics class in high school, was an apron. My mother had bought me fabulous fabric and I messed it up so bad that my Grandmother took it all apart and re-made it for me. I still have that apron and it is still in great shape. Maybe I need to take it out more often and make some new memories with it! Thanks Joanne for brining me down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for sharing your stories! I love hearing them :)
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aprons bring back memories of my grandmothers and my mother when I was young. (a lot younger) They all wore aprons and probably for specifically that reason. They did not have many clothes and at a family get together they were a dressed up for company and certainly did not want to spoil the dress. I do remember my mother collecting eggs with her apron too and well as green beans from the garden. Very useful things aprons are. Well to answer the question, I have one apron and I put it around my grandchildren when they help me in the kitchen. Maybe I should get another one for me, so my grandchildren can have the same happy memories that I have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful memories MaryAnn and what a wonderful thought to create your own apron memories!
    Joanne xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...