Thursday, December 17, 2009

Christmas Tea

I think I was born a century too early! While I like the comforts of our modern world, like cell phones, computers and indoor plumbing, (and not necessarily in that order), I love the beauty of times past. I love traditional decor, the thought of a simpler lifestyle, and afternoon tea and I am sure I would have been best friends with Elizabeth Bennet or the March sisters had I known them!

This past weekend I fulfilled a long time desire of mine to attend Afternoon Tea at Langdon Hall in Cambridge, Ontario. My initial thought was to host a Christmas Tea for my sisters and nieces, but the scheduling did not work out and only my sister Mary and her daughter, Sarah, were able to make it in for a visit. When I realized it would just be the three of us, I decided to make reservations for Christmas Tea at Langdon Hall. It turned out to be a wonderful experience!

We arrived at 2:00 pm and when we drove down the drive and saw Langdon Hall for the first time, it was breathtaking. I was sure I was going back in time!

The estate is absolutely gorgeous and it was completely decorated for the Christmas season. Every room had a real Christmas tree in it, plus real pine wreaths and boughs. I kept taking in deep breaths of the wonderful smell of the greenery and it brought peace to my soul.

We took our tea in the Conservatory, a wonderful room with windows all around. We were seated right next to the fire place and a warm fire crackled and burned while we relaxed in the beauty of our surroundings.

The finest linens, silver and china were placed before us and we each chose our tea.

We were served Orange Blossom & Traditional Scones with St. Jacob’s Style Apple Butter, Preserves & Heavy Cream. Delicious!

We were also given a variety of savories and sweets that were a treat for our taste buds!

It was an unhurried afternoon of pure delight and we promised we would do it again sometime.

Thank you Mary and Sarah for joining me. It was a wonderful time and a memory I will always treasure.

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea." ~Henry James

15 comments:

  1. Oh Joanne, that sounds absolutely heavenly. Glad you enjoyed it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. I have never done that yet, but may have to soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful memory. It looks breathtaking. I don't imagine my boys would ever be into it but I might be able to convince my neices to go one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful afternoon Joanne! I love taking tea and share your feelings of perhaps being born a century too late...well except for certain modern conveniences!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks like you are in your element...that is so you, and next time you book tea and need a friend, i woul dbe happy to join you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH wow Joanne!!! It looks so peaceful and just so you! Looked like and sounded like a great afternoon!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't that just the most lovely place??!! I've been there a couple of times, and have been in my element each time! I LOVE teatime, and all the fuss and "properness" that goes with it!! And they have valet parking, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a WONDERFUL afternoon!!! (And if you ever go back in time to meet the March sisters...please take me with you! I used to think Jo was my kindred spirit!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cool idea and it looks like so much fun! All the pictures are absolutely gorgeous! What an experience to have with family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gen has been trying to get me to go for there tea for a couple of years but I wasn't interested- your pictures and post may just have changed my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful - once again thank you for sharing this great experience with us your friends. Your pictures spoke volumes to me. Next time I am in town (I hope in February some time) we may need to have a tea somewhere together. I know a great little store that has an awesome Tassimo machine that serves great tea and friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are too cute Tania! We will definitely sit and have a tea when you visit!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I know I love Langdon Hall especially at Christmas time! So glad you enjoyed it!~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Langdon Hall is so lovely. Sounds like you had a great time. We took my friend Jean there for tea in June for her birthday and had a wonderful time! And the scrapbook page of the memories turned out great too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...